The Hurricanes lit up Coral Gables on November 28th and stunned the 13th ranked Spartans, 67-59.
This was a game the Hurricanes were supposed to win, but they played better than predicted and won by a bigger margin than expected.
Miami (FL) was able to overwhelm Michigan State in free throw shooting and also win the battle in three pointers.
The Hurricanes put more in from the charity stripe, sinking 16 free throws compared to the five for the Spartans. Miami (FL) leaned on three-pointers for the win and got 27 points from its efforts as opposed to 18 for Michigan State. A nice surprise for Miami (FL) was its 56% three-point shooting, crushing its 35% average for the season.
Trey McKinney-Jones was the high scorer for the Hurricanes with 18 points on 62% shooting in 34 minutes, 15 of that in threes. Reggie Johnson helped the cause by topping everyone with 11 rebounds.
This brings the Hurricanes up to 4-1. Furthermore, this adds to their 3 game winning streak.
Next up is Massachusetts on the road on December 1st.
- Reggie Johnson recorded a double-double. It was his 2nd this season and 16th of his career.
- Reggie Johnson recorded the 25th double digit rebound game of his career.
- Miami (FL) beat the spread by 7.0 points. That makes the 2nd time this season the Hurricanes have beat the spread.
- Shane Larkin has 5 straight double-digit point games.
- Miami (FL) started 4-1 during the 2011, 2008, and 2005 seasons (since 1996).
Michigan State Game Notes:
- Keith Appling has 4 straight double-digit point games.
- Michigan State lost and did not cover the spread.
- The top two scorers (Keith Appling and Gary Harris) accounted for 45.7% of the points.
- Keith Appling has led the team in scoring 6 times in 7 games this season.
Check out the complete Games Notes
Tags: Trey McKinney-Jones
, Reggie Johnson