The 2012-2013 season gets underway for Miami (FL) basketball on November 9 in Coral Gables against Stetson. When they take the floor, the Hurricanes will be looking to match or perhaps beat their 2011-2012 campaign. They lose 19% of last season's player minutes and add the contributions of a Top 100 recruit and three other incoming freshmen.
The largest gap to fill for Miami (FL) will be on offense, as the team lost 28% of their three-point shooting. Following that is scoring, where they lost 20.2% of last year's output.
Last season, Miami (FL) put up a final overall record of 18-11 and placed 4th in the ACC with a conference record of 9-7. The Hurricanes lost to Florida State 82-71 in the ACC tournament. Miami (FL) lost last year's seniors Malcolm Grant (28 minutes per game), DeQuan Jones (17 MPG), and Ryan Quigtar (1 MPG).
The Hurricanes welcome back senior Durand Scott (12.9 points/game), senior Kenny Kadji (1.6 blocked shots/game), senior Reggie Johnson (10.0 points/game), sophomore Shane Larkin (1.6 steals/game), and senior Trey McKinney-Jones (1.4 assists/game).
In order to address the losses, Miami (FL) brings in a Top 100 Recruit. Melvin Johnson is a 6-3 guard from Bronx, NY and is the #84 ranked recruit in the country.
The Hurricanes welcome other freshmen including 6-3 Bishop Daniels, 6-0 Steve Sorenson, and 7-0 Tonye Jekiri. One other player joining the team is 6-10 senior Julian Gamble.
The Hurricanes will look forward to eight games against AP preseason Top 25 teams, including #14 Michigan State on November 28th, at #11 North Carolina on January 10th, and #8 Duke on January 23rd. Miami (FL) kicks off ACC play on January 5th at Georgia Tech.
Tags: Malcolm Grant
- Miami (FL) has had 3 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Miami (FL) has an overall winning percentage of 54.2%. The Hurricanes have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 61.3%.
- The Hurricanes have an average conference finish of 7.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 6.2.
- In a 10 year period, Miami (FL) has signed 5 Top 100 high school players. Over 10 seasons, the Hurricanes have signed 11 Top 100 players.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 115.1.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Michigan State (#3).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Stetson (#267).
- Miami (FL) has 8 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The last time Miami (FL) returned more than 82% of the team's statistical production was 2011-2012.
, DeQuan Jones
, Ryan Quigtar
, Durand Scott
, Kenny Kadji
, Reggie Johnson
, Shane Larkin
, Trey McKinney-Jones
, Bishop Daniels
, Steve Sorenson
, Tonye Jekiri
, Julian Gamble